Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Great Expectations




This weekend, Jeremiah's grandparents from Western Nebraska got to see him for the first time. My dad is prepping him to be a cowboy--he already has his first pair of cowboy boots and my dad jokes he has already bought Jeremiah a horse!


I was thinking this morning about how we all have expectations of different things--and how sometimes they turn out to be correct and other times are way off base. I know I've had some expectations of what it would be like when we finally had a child. Here are just a few and whether they've turned out to be accurate or not!


Expectation #1--We would get less sleep.
Absolutely, positively true! I can't remember the last time I was this tired (or this happy for that matter).


Expectation #2--When Jeremiah takes naps, I would be able to get a lot done.
Sometimes true, sometimes false. I'm having to change my "outcome-based" thinking of how my days at work were measured to more along the lines of "it's a good day if I can get a shower before noon."


Expectation #3--Once Jeremiah went down for a nap, he would stay asleep.
Not necessarily. Jeremiah tends to wake himself up after about 10 minutes or so in the daytime, so we're learning how to help him learn how to sleep.


Expectation #4--I would instantly fall in love with this baby.
This is my one expectation that has been totally exceeded. I knew I would love Jeremiah; it amazes me how much more I love him than I had even anticipated. God is so good!


I'm sure I have many more expectations that will be proven false over time. But these were the few I was thinking about today.

1 comment:

Sue said...

It's amazing how much God continues to reach in and teach us! "A little child shall lead them".... is so right on target when it comes to being a parent. Now watch how much he will imitate you. Pretty soon you'll be seeing your voice and words come out of his tiny body!