This is one of those things that I both do and don’t miss from working full-time. I don’t miss having meeting after meeting throughout a day and not getting any work done at my desk. But I also miss the brainstorming, dialogue, creativity and fun that some meetings can bring. I think that’s one reason I’m enjoying planning this women’s tea for our church next Saturday.
One aspect I have gotten out of practice in when running a meeting, however, is the balance of getting everyone’s ideas, wanting them to feel that they have input and a voice, but making that final decision as the leader as to what is feasible and what’s not. For me, I err a lot of times in wanting to implement everyone’s ideas, but that’s just not do-able. There has to be someone in charge who makes the final decision, and sometimes those decisions have to be made only by the leader, without getting feedback from anyone else.
I need to remember this more when it comes to the leaders who are in my life—the pastors at my church, my city officials, my state and national leaders. As much as I would love to tell them my ideas for running things, that’s not always do-able, and my ideas aren’t always the best ones out there. That’s why it’s so important for me to pray for these people. I have to confess, I don’t do this very often even though I know it’s important. I know that prayer makes a difference—I’ve seen it countless times in my own life and others around me. What about all of you? How do you remember to pray for your leaders? And how have you seen some of those prayers answered?
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.—1 Timothy 2:1–2
No comments:
Post a Comment