You never know
what’s going to happen when you take a risk. It could be good, like trying a
new recipe and discovering it’s quite delicious. Or it could land on the
opposite end of the spectrum—where you declare said dish “disgusting” and fall
on the floor in a raging tantrum. Not like anything remotely close to that
happened at our house tonight. Nope, our kids would never do that.
I think that’s
why I have a hard time stepping out of my comfort zone. If I could be assured
of the outcome, then you betcha I’ll try that new thing or approach that
person. But that’s not what a risk is, and it’s not stepping out in faith,
trusting God with the outcome.
Last week my pastor challenged us to share the hope we have in Christ with others who may
not know Him. This is definitely one of my weaker areas. I’ve always preferred
to know people, attempt to live out my faith before them, and then share the
gospel as we’ve developed a relationship. This type of evangelism is perfectly
fine, but it can all too often become a cop-out for me.
Throughout the
week, I asked God to give me opportunities to share my faith with someone. I
even had a particular person in mind. Our next-door neighbor has battled on and
off with cancer over the last several years, and last week shared that it’s now
spread from his lungs into the lymph nodes and brain. Not a good diagnosis. Jon
has tried to invite him to church in the past and bring up spiritual things,
but Jon has always been shut down.
God did give me
an opportunity to have a short conversation with our neighbor. Nothing like the
best-case outcome I wanted, where he accepted Christ. But he listened when I
told him that Jesus loved him (as did we), he told me how much he loved our
kids, even pointing to a picture Sarah drew proudly displayed on his fridge.
And he seemed willing to accept help, which he’s been reluctant to do in the
past.
God also brought
another unexpected opportunity for a spiritual conversation, and in the grocery
checkout aisle no less. Who would have guessed that having your children obnoxiously
joyfully hum Christmas carols while sitting in the cart would prompt a chat
with the checker about living by biblical principles, the hope of Christ, and
how the Bible is a great book, why not start with John? (Confession: While I tried
to answer all of this kid’s questions and obey God’s prompting, I was so
nervous that I forgot to punch all the buttons on the credit card machine and
almost left without my receipt!)
What I learned?
Keep looking for those opportunities and don’t be afraid to speak out about
Jesus, even when you’re in the express lane at Russ’s with a long line behind
you! And if you’re reading this, would you please pray for my neighbor? We want
to be able to serve him in his time of need and both show him Christ and share about the hope he can have in the midst of this life and after.
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for,
the conviction of things not seen. — Hebrews 11:1

No comments:
Post a Comment