Sunday, March 1, 2015

Taking a Risk

One of my dreams is to move to the country with a big house and plenty of land for the kids to run
around and trees for them to climb (and maybe raise an animal or two). Sometimes (thanks to HGTV), I like to dream about finding an old farmhouse and bringing it back to life—keeping the nostalgic and charming features of the old but adding the convenience and beauty of the new.

But then reality comes crashing in. Undertaking a purchase and a renovation of that sort constitutes a risk—something I’m not very comfortable with. In fact, a few weeks ago when I was perusing Pinterest and dreaming my farmhouse dreams, I realized how very, very uncomfortable I am with risk, so much so that I avoid it. Even in the one electronic game I play, I tend to hoard my free daily “power-ups,” using them only when it will guarantee me a win. As I considered this about myself, I had one thought: Pathetic!

Well, maybe not pathetic, as taking a risk for risk’s sake isn’t very smart. I certainly don’t want my kids to do that. For example, I’d be thrilled if my son stopped jumping off high places (think two broken arms in less than six months). But on the other hand, as the saying goes, with great risk comes great reward. And if I never take a risk, what am I missing out on? And more importantly, am I missing out on something God wants me to do?

So this month, I’ve decided to step out in the risk department and try to expand my horizons, so to speak. At least three times a week, I am going to take some sort of risk. It might be something big or it could even be something little, just so it gets me out of my comfort zone.

Not one of the risks I'm planning to take!
My first risk is starting up this blog again, after four years of dormancy. Besides being a fulltime wife and mom, I’m a freelance writer and editor by trade. But another dream is to grow in that area, maybe even someday write a book. However, if I keep doing what I always do, it’s never going to happen. So I’m posting this link on Facebook, letting “the world” know what I’m doing—and making myself vulnerable, because (ack!) somebody might actually read what I’m posting!

Each time I take my risk, I’m going to blog about it. And along the way, I plan to study a well-known risk-taker in the Bible, Queen Esther, and share what God is teaching me.


So whether anyone reads these words or not, I’m kind of excited, but mostly nervous, to see what God’s going to teach me this month about what it means to take a risk for Him—which when you think about it, trusting and obeying Him really isn’t a risk at all.

3 comments:

Mom of 3 boys said...

Thanks for the encouragement to take a risk for Christ, Mindy. That's where I'm at. :)

Sara said...

Loved your post! I also have a dream of living in the country! I've already done the fixer upper thing so prefer to have a beautiful, move-in-ready house on an acreage but perhaps I will need to continue dreaming for that (he he). I look forward to reading about how you will step out of your comfort zone - what a great goal!

Bee said...

Go for it!!! Look forward to hearing where this adventure takes you. And a little food for thought for me to consider...