Monday, March 9, 2015

Stretching

Well, it’s been one week into “my month of risks,” and I haven’t done anything too crazy. But I have been stretched and taken out of my comfort zone, both in little and big ways.

In addition to starting this blog again and having some uncomfortable moments, I had a fewer small “stretching times.” As an introvert, striking up a conversation with someone I don’t know is difficult, but I attempted to do so with a few moms while waiting to pick up my daughter from preschool. The conversations weren’t deep and we didn’t really even make a connection, but I tried.

In other news, I also parallel parked. (Successfully, I might add!) Jon laughed at me for including this one, but it really is something that causes me some anxiety. I would rather drive around the block a few times looking for a different parking space than try to parallel park. So when I was able to do this without having to go forward and backward multiple times, I let out a little cheer. Sarah in the backseat was not impressed.

And tonight, I took myself even farther out of my comfort zone by volunteering with my church at
People's City Mission
the city mission. Every month, a group of around eight people help out by serving the evening meal. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was fun to talk with the other volunteers as we served the meal and to get to know some people at church I’d never met before. It was humbling to realize how rich my family and I really are and how I often take for granted what God has blessed us with. And it made me sad to see all of the faces—men, women, and children of all ages, some hopeful and cheerful (even thanking us for serving) and others looking beat up, discouraged, and confused. I wondered about their stories, the circumstances that brought them to this place, and what kept them going day after day. I don’t know if my family’s schedule will always allow me to volunteer, but I would like to go again.


While my risk challenge hasn’t brought about huge changes thus far, it has made me more aware of opportunities to stretch myself and be more willing to step outside my comfortable little life. As I go about my day, I’m praying, “Lord, show me a place where I can take a risk today. Show me how I can focus more on serving You and less on serving myself.” Today, the risks might have been sharing a struggle with a  neighbor and volunteering the precious resource of time. Tomorrow, who knows? We’ll see what God will do.

No comments: